- Updating U6-Lite to firmware 5.60.9 somehow caused UniFi Network app on mobile to be unable to configure the device
- I was able to configure the devices again by switching to using Unifi Controller on my Mac with IPv6 disabled on my router and adding the UniFi application to the firewall exception list on my Mac (System preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall options > + button)
Recently, I purchased some Unifi U6-Lite access points to extend Wifi coverage at home. During setup, I figured that the devices could be setup in 2 ways:
- By installing Unifi Network Controller (new name: Unifi Network Application) on a PC/Mac/Linux machine and use the program to setup the devices. This method allows for more refined configurations.
- Or the devices could be setup using the Unifi Network mobile app on iOS or Android device.
I attempted method 1.) but the Controller was unable to find any device. After trying a few fixes unsuccessfully, I switched to method 2.), which has been working fine… until yesterday when I found out that a new firmware upgrade is available (https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-5-60-9/a98a71d1-ce1e-4823-a1d2-4a5fa3d642b9).
After a quick check of what the update includes, I promptly updated the devices via the Unifi Network App on my iPhone. After the update, the app was no longer able to configure the devices, displaying “Ready to adopt” tag on the device and upon a tap the app would try to connect to the device and display “Cannot Reach AP” message instead and advising that a reset on the device is performed.
I reseted the devices a couple of time but still was unable to configure the devices, although the initial setups were successful and the devices were working fine otherwise.
I decided to try method 1.) again. I tried disabling firewalls both on my router and on my Mac but to no avail. In the end, what worked for me was to:
- Disable IPv6 on my router
- Add UniFi application to the firewall exception list on my Mac (System preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall options > + button)
Hope this helps someone in a similar situation.